I was on my way home, driving down a local road, with dinner boxed and warm in the passenger seat. It was Friday evening and I was happy to embrace the weekend that was ahead. Suddenly the car in front of me decided to make a U-turn and I had to do a quick maneuver to avoid a collision, as our dinner hit the floor. The incident was a little scary. But God got me through it. I felt a little unsettled, but I also felt peace. I knew that He was looking out for me, in that moment, and in every moment. When we spend our days walking beside God, we learn that He is trustworthy. He is faithful. He is loving. He is caring. When we have a close relationship with Him, we know He has our backs.
One of the most famous battles in the Bible was David’s encounter with Goliath. David didn’t waver when he faced the 9 foot 9 inch giant. That is because David faced him “in the name of the Lord Almighty” (1 Samuel 17:45). David faced many trials in his life, but he walked worry-free because he walked beside God. Over his lifetime, David saw firsthand that God was trustworthy and that God was always there to protect him.
We can see David’s strong faith in all the beautiful Psalms he wrote:
- But you, Lord, are my shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high. – Psalm 3:3
- In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety. – Psalm 4:8
- But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. – Psalm 5:11
- The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer. – Psalm 6:9
- I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the Lord Most High. – Psalm 7:17
- Those who know your name trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you. – Psalm 9:10
- Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure. – Psalm 16: 5
- I love you, Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. – Psalm 18:1-2
- Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. – Psalm 34:8
- Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me. – Psalm 54:4
These are just a few examples of David’s faith and trust in the Lord. We can see how brightly it glowed. David faced many difficult circumstances in his life, but he always tried to keep his eyes on the Lord. And this helped him to walk worry-free with God. And we can do the same, when we cling to the Lord every day of our lives.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. – Psalm 23:4
© 2021 Bridget A. Thomas