86,400 seconds is the amount of time we have each day. It sounds like a lot of time when we look at it in seconds. Yet each day seems to go by so quickly. Most years we get 31,536,000 seconds (365 x 86,400). Since this year is a leap year, we are given 31,622,400 seconds (366 x 86,400).
Most leap years we let leap day slip by without much attention. Unless you are one of the folks whose birthday actually falls on the twenty-ninth of February. Then you might look forward to this day with anticipation. Or perhaps if you want to adopt the tradition where the lass proposes to the lad, then leap day might be something to look forward to. But for the rest of us, the day comes and goes without a second glance.
I say we make this year different and start a new tradition. Let’s make leap day a special day. We all talk about needing more time for various reasons. And with leap day, we are getting an extra twenty-four hours. Therefore, I say we do something significant on this day.
How can we do that? The answer can vary for each of us. Think of something that you have been wanting to do, but you just haven’t gotten around to it. Or think of something that is holding you back which you would like to lay aside. We just have to pick one thing to do on this day that will make it special. Here are some ideas I thought of:
- Go to a park which you have never been to before
- Go to dinner and anonymously pay for someone else’s meal
- Don’t complain all day, especially if this is a bad habit of yours
- Don’t look at social media, video games, television, or something similar, especially if this is an issue for you
- Anonymously send a friend a gift card
- Do something special with your family, laying aside work or any other distractions
- Read a book or watch a movie that you have been wanting to read / watch
- Cook a meal (or bake something sweet) together with your family
- Adopt a pet
- Take care of an item on your to-do list
- Donate money to a good cause
- Plant a garden
- Use the day for fasting and prayer
- Bring your neighbor fresh baked cookies
- Visit a nursing home
These are just a few examples of how we can do something memorable with the extra 86,400 seconds we will get this year. Feel free to come up with something of your own. If you do, I’d love to hear about it!