It’s strawberry season here in Florida. Spring comes early and, with it, celebrations featuring the delicious red berry. We have two weeks dedicated to the Florida Strawberry Festival, which includes carnival rides, food galore and awesome musical acts. This year, the berries are so juicy and sweet, every night I have a bowl of cut-up berries, whipped cream and granola sprinkled on top. What a great way to usher in spring!
Here are a few recipes to get you in the mood for spring and a way to celebrate strawberry season with us.
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup water
3 cups strawberries, hulled
2 tablespoons butter, diced
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Prep 15 m
- Cook 35 m
- Ready In 50 m
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and hot. Stir in strawberries, and remove from heat. Pour mixture into the baking dish, and dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in cream. Mixture should be fairly soft. Spoon on top of berries.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until biscuit is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Strawberry Spinach Salad
For the vinaigrette:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (just from about 4 small limes)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 1/2 teaspoons honey (agave nectar or maple syrup if vegan)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon ginger
pinch of salt, to taste
2 bunches fresh spinach- chopped, washed, dried
1 pint strawberries, halved
- Prep 20 m
- Ready In 40 m
- To make dressing: Add lime juice, honey, apple cider vinegar, ginger and a pinch of salt to a medium bowl. Whisk together until well combined, about 20-30 seconds. Set aside.
- In a salad bowl, combine the spinach and strawberries. Drizzle with dressing, toss lightly and serve.
Have you read my novel HIS HONOR, HER FAMILY? For a limited time, you can enter to win the book plus 30 fantastic sweet small town romances from an amazing collection of authors, AND a brand new eReader – just follow me and other great romance authors on BookBub!
Happy spring everyone!
Tara Randel is an award-winning, USA Today bestselling author. Family values, a bit of mystery and of course, love and romance, are her favorite themes, because she believes love is the greatest gift of all. Look for her next Harlequin Heartwarming romance, Trusting Her Heart, available August 2019. Visit Tara at www.tararandel.com. Like her on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/TaraRandelBooks. Sign up for Tara’s Newsletter and receive a link to download a free digital book.