Labor Day is fast approaching, the last long weekend of summer. A day to relax, visit with family and friends and, if the weather is nice, cook out. Since grilling is always popular during the summer months, I try to serve side dishes that are colorful and tasty. Below is a recipe for one of my all time favorite recipes, which goes great with grilled chicken.
Summer Vegetable Tian
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 medium potato
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- to taste salt & pepper
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic. Sautê the onion and garlic with olive oil over medium heat until the onions are soft and transparent (about 5 minutes).
- While the onion and garlic are sautéing, thinly slice the remaining vegetables. Make sure the potatoes are very thin so that they soften quickly while in the oven.
- Coat the inside of an 8×8″ casserole dish with non-stick spray. Spread the sautéed onion and garlic in the bottom of the dish. Arrange the other sliced vegetables, stacked vertically like dominoes, in an alternating pattern. Season the top of the vegetables generously with salt, pepper, and dried thyme.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and top with the shredded cheese. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.
If you find potatoes too heavy, leave them out. The dish is still yummy.
Tara Randel is an award-winning, USA Today bestselling author of fifteen novels. Family values, a bit of mystery and, of course, love and romance, are her favorite themes, because she believes love is the greatest gift of all. Look for her next Harlequin Heartwarming romance, HIS ONE AND ONLY BRIDE, available January 2018 and her next Christmas Town novella in the holiday collection, HEARTWARMING HOLIDAY WISHES, available October 2017. Visit Tara at www.tararandel.com. Like her on Facebook at Tara Randel Books